Pages

Tuesday 26 August 2014

My Health and Fitness Routine/Tips - Exercise

Hi guys, so as I said in my previous blog, I had to split my health and fitness routine into 2 - one for food and one for exercise. As I've also said before, I'm not the fittest of people, I do get out of breath when climbing more than 3 flights of stairs. I'm from a very flat part of the country so whenever I go anywhere with a lot of hills I just die. When I went to university in Preston I had to set off 15 minutes early to get to my lessons because I'd just get so winded if I hurried eek!
So, I try to go to the gym about 4 or 5 times a week, which in my opinion is a lot! That's my ideal but some weeks I may go twice and others I may go 6 times. I take two classes a week - body combat, which is like a boxercise and aerobics combination, and spinning which is intense bike riding with different effort levels/techniques.
When I don't go to a class, I go to the regular gym and I'll usually cycle 10k on the stationary bikes, run a mile on the treadmill and spend 10 minutes on the stair master or cross trainer before going on to strength training.
I split my strength training days by body parts - legs, glutes and shoulders, chest and triceps and back and biceps. I use the regular weight machines such as the leg press, the chest press, the abductor and I also use free weights. 

I'm not particularly strong, I'm about 5'1 or 2 and a size 8, I'm an hourglass but I do have a large bum and thighs, so I work on those the most. Although, I'm calling it, spot training is a MYTH. This is why I don't have an ab day, because intensely training your abs will not give you abs unless you have a really small body fat percentage. The reason why I still do strength training is simple though - to build up strength. I can only curl about 5kg (11lbs) and that's a massive improvement from my previous 2kg!
I like cardio because I really feel like I'm getting a workout with it - there's something deeply satisfying about that moment when you've just finished your run and you're extremely out of breath, dripping with sweat, parched and feel like you're going over but knowing it's done and you did your absolute best. This is why I enjoy classes because they push me to my limits.
If I don't make it to the gym, I like to do an at home workout - this will normally be something I find on popsugar fitness' youtube channel or app, or blogilates youtube channel. I find these channels amazing, they give you the best possible workout in the shortest amount of time and they try to make it as adjustable as they can if it's too easy/hard for you.

Rest days are extremely important because they help your body recover and recharge. Without rest days, your body will not be as strong or capable as it normally would. It's recommended that you have at least 2 rest days per week,
Workouts don't have to be intense cardio or strength sessions - they can be hikes, yoga, pilates, leisurely bike rides, swimming or just about anything!
Tips - 

  • don't overwork your body - you know when it's time to take a break (rest day)
  • contrastingly, give your body a little push doing workouts - it's so much more capable than you think!
  • take classes - it's so much more fun and motivational in a group
  • do cardio and weight train! This will be the best for your body
Links - 
Popsugar Fitness - https://www.youtube.com/user/popsugartvfit
Blogilates - https://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates

Thanks for reading!
CJ x

No comments:

Post a Comment