Pages

Friday 22 May 2015

The Fitness Diaries: WEEK 11

Hola,
How did we get to week 11 already?! Like, seriously, how.
This week's theme issssss: How to Eat Clean
So, as you may know I'm trying so hard to get myself in gear and I'm finally starting to see results! I can run faster for longer and I can push myself harder than I've ever been able to before. It's really amazing how far so little time can take you. I've even started to incorporate more strength training into my routine (I'm really wanting to work on my back and arms lately). But I don't think that's the reason I'm seeing my physical results.
The reason I think I'm seeing results on the outside, is the work I'm putting in on the inside. In other words, my nutrition. I'm so proud of the way I'm eating lately, and yes, some things may come easier to me because not only to I tend to avoid bad foods, but I don't particularly like them either. Chocolate, coke, cheese and salt are just a few examples. One thing I found that benefitted me soooo much was giving up caffeine. I would always walk around feeling bloated and sluggish during the day and once I cut the coffee, it was gone. So, this week is a little different. Here are my top tips for clean eating!

1. Cut the caffeine. Although most diets don't really comment much on caffeine, apart from saying one cup a day won't do you any harm, I wouldn't recommend it. Some sources actually say it helps you metabolism, which it does to an extent. But too much caffeine can actually cause stress and anxiety levels to rise faster than you have time to work them off. My tip? Stick to one cup a day AT MOST, or simply switch to decaf.

2. Decline the drinking. (Do you like my alliteration? I do). Similar to tip numero uno is that you really need to think about the fact boozing WILL make you bloated, it'll also make you dehydrated and has TONNES of calories in it. When you really feel like a drink, go for it. But if it isn't that necessary, maybe keep the nights out to a minimum.

3. Don't drink your calories! Even more similarly, you really need to consider where your calorie and sugar intake is coming from, and it's most likely going to be that 4th glass of Dr Pepper I'm (I mean you're) drinking. Do you know how much hidden sugar is in a 500ml bottle of fizzy drink? Like more than half your daily intake. I'm basically telling you not to drink anything but water.

4. Chug some water. Wait a sec, didn't I say this blog was about clean eating? Regardless, drinking water can really aid weightloss and health. It's so pure and natural and as long as it's clean will never do you any harm. Drinking at least 2 litres of water is so beneficial it helps metabolism, energy, obviously hydration, your skin feels better, you brain works harder. Just maybe impose a tactic like use a 1 litre bottle to help motivate you to drink it.

5. Stop with processed foods. I know it's hard, McDonald's, pizza, even frozen ready meals are so hard to cut back on! But I realised since my shopping contained NO processed foods, my body has greatly improved. When I say no processed foods this is nothing but pure ingredients, vegetables, meat, carbs, that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

6. Whole grain. EVERYTHING. I never understood people who don't like wholegrain foods, they're so much better for you. My recommendations would be to switch bread, pasta, rice, even sugar from white to brown. Whole grain helps aid healthy digestion while fighting the bloat.

7. Learn to live without sugar. I'm not saying you all have to go out and buy the 'I quit sugar for life' book. But if you're anything like me, you'll have a serious sweet tooth and nothing tastes good unless it's sweet. We just have to learn to use natural sweeteners like fruit and honey instead. I know, it's so hard!

8. Skip the added salt. This is a MUST. But also something I've never done. Salt is so bad for you, and once you cut back on processed, packaged foods, you'll really start to notice the difference in your daily salt intake. Yes, it is there to add flavour, but there are so many substitutes for that and adding salt is just unnecessary.

9. 5 a day. This  really should have been point 5. But I can't express how important it is to have fresh produce in your diet. It doesn't even need to be straight of the shelves. If you're worried about having so much fresh food in the house it might go off, freeze some. I keep frozen raspberries and mango, as well as mushrooms and peppers just for when the mood strikes. Starting off you day with some fruit will have you in such a good mood too!

10. Control your serving size. And by this I don't just mean cut back as a whole, but watch how much of each food group you're eating. For dinner, for example, half of your meal should be veggies, one quarter should be protein and one quarter should be carbohydrates. Most women tend to put carbs first, protein second and veggies last and most men put protein first, carbs second and veggies last. Oh no. Not how we play it, the more colourful your plate, the better too!


So there are my favourite clean eating tips! I full understand that I'm not a nutritionist and everybody's bodies work differently BUT these tips have definitely worked for me. You don't even have to do all of them, but if you're someone who drinks coffee and coke and lives off white bread, carbs and ready meals, then definitely try to incorporate some of these tips into your life! Hope you found this useful!
Until next week,
CJ x

No comments:

Post a Comment