Pages

Tuesday 17 March 2015

The Fitness Diaries: WEEK 4

This week's theme: At home workouts
Hello everybody! I hope my tips from last week about drinking water have worked for everybody! I used to find it so hard to stick to drinking 2 litres of water a day, especially if I wasn't doing anything, I just wouldn't remember. But now I drink at least 2 litres a day without any fizzy drinks and I'm so happy about it, I feel so much better, more energised, my metabolism is better. I have one coffee per week on a Saturday morning, and for the rest of the week it's off limits. It's slowly killing me, but I know it's better for me in the long run.
So, for the workouts, I've made it to the gym twice; once for a class and once for a workout. This is mainly due to the fact I had to write my LAST two essays of the year (yep - I'm essay free, yay!). However, I've found that working out at home can be just as effective as going to the gym, just a little less time consuming. At the gym, I usually spend about an hour an a half doing strictly cardio for the first month. Therefore, if I couldn't make it, I'd still keep to a cardio workout using youtube videos, and I'd make it equal the same amount of time. I've found channels like POPSUGAR Fitness and Blogilates have the largest variety of videos to follow.
My  choice to build up my healthy lifestyle has really paid off. I used to go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and I knew if I picked up immediately where I left off, I would have given up by now. Set yourself weekly targets and you'll be amazed by what you can achieve. Coming into my fourth week, I'm astonished that all of my cravings for Dr Pepper and coffee have gone, I don't feel the need to eat large amount of carbohydrates anymore.
I've found that having 3 small meals and 3 snacks is the best way to combat hunger and cravings. Every morning I have either yogurt and granola, oatmeal or a piece of wholemeal toast and peanut butter. Whichever one I choose I have with a portion of fruit too. Mid-morning I like to have either more fruit or a nakd bar. For lunch I'm sticking to either an omelette, soup, a wholemeal sandwich or pitta or a salad. My afternoon snack normally consists of carrot and cucumber sticks with hummus. And for dinner I'm having mostly protein (chicken, turkey or fish only) and vegetables, with a small amount of carbs.
As I've only just finished week 3, and I'm starting week 4, I haven't noticed any visible external results yet. But I do feel stronger, I have more endurance when I run (something I've previously found really difficult due to breathing problems). I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but I know I'm off to a good start. I'm also sleeping better and spending less time staring at screens all day. Something for the mind as well as the body!
This week's goals are simple: build up my endurance when running, beat my first mile in the 5k on the treadmill and beat the overall time for 5k on the bikes. After this week, I'm hoping to incorporate strength training into my workouts! Fingers crossed it pays off!
My favourite video workouts of the week:

 
 
I hope you enjoyed this week's fitness diaries! If you'd like to see pictures of any of my meals or a run down of any of my workouts, let me know in the comments and I'll be happy to put them up weekly! This will be much better when I start doing strength training exercises!
When I start seeing visible progress, I might even keep you updated with pictures. But for now, here's my week 4 motivation picture

 
If you've missed any of the previous weeks, don't worry! Here are the links:
 
Have a nice week!
CJ x


No comments:

Post a Comment